The McCabe House features three floors of living space and a full basement. It has an ideal in-town location, extensive gardens & landscaping. With its two wonderful porches, true gourmet kitchen, four working fireplaces, butler’s pantry, fireplace-lit dining room and buffet serving room, this house was designed for entertaining – wonderful family gatherings, casual get-togethers or warm, intimate dinner parties with friends and business associates. Utilities have been recently modernized and enhanced. Natural gas service supports heating, kitchen and three of the fireplaces. A fourth fireplace in the kitchen features a cast iron wood stove. There are two heating zones and the central air conditioning is split across three zones, enabling cost effective cooling.
The interior of the house shows original woodwork & trim, There are four massive pocket doors on the 1st floor, stacked crown molding throughout the house, and the original old growth heart of pine wood floors on all three floors. There are two staircases – the main in the front with a landing that overlooks the side yard gardens – and the back staircase which enables access to the second and third floors. There is a full, unfinished walkout basement available for storage and hobbies.
The McCabe House is a Georgian colonial built in the mid-1890’s by Joseph Norris of Leesburg’s Norris Brothers builders as a wedding gift for his daughter, Ellen Norris McCabe. The Norris brothers built numerous houses and other buildings in Leesburg at the turn of the last century – including Leesburg’s historic clock tower brick courthouse. This home is an exceptional example of the Georgian architectural style. The footprint is all original, save for a first floor bath, which was added approximately forty years ago and a rear porch addition that was enclosed by the current owners. The house includes several notable early American architectural features including the hipped roof, symmetrical façade, pediment dormers, full width front sitting porch and a Palladian-style window on the south side of the house above the screened porch.